BSFTA Memorial page

Junius Blaine Murray
October 5,1936 -October 9,2079
Junius Blaine Murray was born in Twin Falls, Idaho, on October 5,1936. He
was the son of Margaret Ann Kerr Murray and Junius Baily Munay of Filer, Idaho.
Blaine is survived by seven siblings: RJay Murray, Philomath, Oregon; Mary
Carter (sister) Bountiful, Utah; Margaret LaRae Babbitt (sister) Provo, Utah;
Byron Murray, Island Park, Idaho, Carolyn Leong (sister), Honolulu, Hawaii; and
Isabell Sudweeks (sister) Twin Falls, Idaho.
Blaine spent his first eleven years in Filer, Idaho where the family was farming
his uncle’s farm. In 1947 the farm was sold, and the family moved to Coltman,
Idaho, where they farmed for a year. In 1948,the family moved to Serelda, Idaho,
where his mother taught school in a one room, eight-grade country school. His
father worked for the forest service in the summer at the Porcupine Ranger Station
east of Ashton, Idaho. Blaine and Byron ran a trap-line in the winters trapping
muskrats, snowshoe hares, and weasels. The pelts were sold in St. Anthony and money was used to buy ammunition for hunting.In 1949 the family moved to Island Park, Idaho, where his mother taught school at Mack’s Inn. Blaine was in the eighth grade at Mack’s Inn and enjoyed all the outdoor activities in the area.
The family moved to Terreton, Idaho, in 1950 where they farmed for ayear and Blaine attended his freshman year of high school in Roberts, Idaho. In 1951 the family moved to Wendell, Idaho, where his father farmed, and his mother taught school. Blaine’s father’s health prevented him from farming anymore and his mother took over the role of supporting the family.
Blaine was very active in school activities particularly in athletics where he lettered in football, basketball, baseball, and track. Blaine graduated from Wendell high school in 1954, and enlisted in the US army where he received paratrooper and army ranger training. He was discharged from active duty in 1956.
After college, he obtained the rank of captain in the army reserve. Blaine enrolled at Ricks Junior College in Rexburg, Idaho, in 1956 where he was active in school events and played on the football team. During the summers between college semesters, Blaine worked in Yellowstone Park where he enjoyed his social activities with other college kids, as well as hiking and fishing. After two years at Ricks, Blaine enrolled at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, graduating with a degree in chemistry. While at BYU, he enjoyed hunting and fishing in both Idaho and Utah.
In 1961, Biaine married Ann Moffett, from Austin, Texas, that he met while working together in Yellowstone Park. They lived in Idaho Falls while Blaine was employed at the Idaho Nuclear Laboratory.
He worked as a Health Physicist at the spent nuclear fuel facility. During this time, Blaine was also involved in training his kennel registered black Labrador retriever for dog trial competition. His Labrador, Targhee Sam, went on to win the national championship. Several years later Blaine and Ann moved to Texas near Baltown, Texas. Blaine spent a year in Minneapolis, Minnesota at the University of Minnesota earning a master’s degree in nuclear engineering. He also completed graduate work at the University of Kansas.
Blaine and Ann were the parents of three children; Lexie, Michael, and Melissa. Blaine and Ann divorced in 1972. While living in Texas, Blaine was employed at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission as a career Nuclear engineer and lived in the Dallas area. In Texas, Blaine was an avid athlete competing in rodeo events, marathons, tennis, shotgun shooting, and bird hunting. Blaine retired from the NRC in 1998 and moved to Idaho, and purchased a small acreage on St. Leon road, north of Idaho Falls. Blaine raised both registered dogs and horses on his place. He trained black Labradors and Missouri Fox Trotter horses. He returned to skiing and horse back riding as well as competing in horse shows and dog trials. He joined a horseback riding club, The Over the Hill Gang, and ski bus group to Grand Targhee Ski Resort. He counted these associates as his closest friends until he passed away.